Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Creative People


For the creative person

This article serves only to illustrate my participation in this mad but wonderful profession over many years of dedicated practice I have learned to share the many aspects of art in general and character art in particular, being true to ourselves and not slaves to trends gives us the ability to still be contemporary, but like the impressionists go against the “norm” as it were. Abstract landscapes seem to be in vogue at the moment and before that abstract shapes and pop art but I doggedly kept painting quirky characters to my detriment financially; still recently they now seem to be gaining some popularity so as I said being true to what you do ultimately shines through your work and is then a recognizable trait that people identify with honesty is a powerful tool and injected into our everyday practices and work will ultimately bring something to us as artists and people, I’ll end these ramblings with an illustration, you start with a blank canvas subconsciously putting bits of yourself into an image, by that I mean it feels right to you, and over time an image appears, you then show/display that image and someone is moved by it, happy ,sad, maybe just pleased, either way a genuine emotion which intern feeds your creative process, and stimulates the viewer, everyone needs encouragement, I get mine through my paintings.
I hope this small insight that I share may benefit the viewer to better understand the methods and motives behind my character paintings.

2 comments:

Rob Windstrel Watson said...

It is so difficult being creative and finding one's own voice (I find) that I can't imagine how difficult it must be (and so unsatisfying) to try to be creative in a genre or style which feels alien.

If we, as creative people, just look upon our days work as churning out the numbers that will earn a living, we might as well be accountants.

Mind you, a living ... That would be nice :-)

tagnews said...

Spoken like a true gent, my sentiments exactly cheers